Monday, March 14, 2016

Is it Possible to be Creative AND Clutter-Free?

This is a question that haunts me: is it possible for one to be both creative and clutter-free? So many of the hobbies that creatives love--painting, mixed media, sculpture, and sewing to name just a few--come with supplies.

In some cases, many, many supplies.

I'm a clutter-phobic in many ways. One of my favorite parts of the Christmas season is the post-season clean out, where I give away gifts I've gotten that I know someone else will love a thousand times more than me, or other, older items that I've received in order to make room for newer gifts.

It's a sort of sickness, I know. Along with taking down the Christmas tree sometimes hours after the holiday has ended.

Two years ago when I read Joshua Becker's book, Simplify, and decided to make my kitchen counters clutter-free, it was literally life changing.
There is something so beautifully freeing about it all. The process of letting go, of opening space, emotionally and physically, and allowing oneself the freedom that comes through clearing out and clearing away.

I'm by no means a true minimalist (if there even is one specific definition of the word), but I know that I feel better mentally and physically when there are places of bareness in my life.

What then, is a creative to do with necessary supplies?

In the past I did a lot of mixed media. As a treasure-hunter and upcycler, it was the perfect outlet for all the bits and pieces that others were tossing but that I found beautiful.

How much is too much, though? How do you know when you've reached your comfortable limit? I came across this lovely post by Renae at A New Journey talking about what being a minimalist crafter would look like.

What are your thoughts on the subject? If you consciously choose to minimalize your craft/hobby/art, how do you do it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment