Wednesday, March 30, 2016

What Getting Sick Reminded Me

{image credit}
I hope you had a wonderful Easter, if you celebrate it. It's one of my favorite holidays ~ unfortunately, this year I completely missed it.

No, I didn't forget to put it on my calendar or oversleep and miss the entire day. I got sick. Just the flu with one of the worst sore throats I've ever had (!). It was such a bummer, imagining my family all sitting happily around the big table at my parents' house, enjoying conversation, yummy food and the beautiful weather. I'll admit, I shed a few tears of self-pity.

However, as I was alternating lying prone on the couch or in bed, I started thinking about how out of control life has been feeling lately. I won't go into my "busy list" here--I'm sure you have your very own to worry about.

Lately it feels though, that I'm spending more time blasting through life than experiencing it. Vacation helped me to slow down and notice things, but it was still a busy time. When you're keeping up with a quick-paced six year-old, there's not a lot of time for quiet and reflection!

Anyway, I certainly don't have things figured out yet. I know that some things need to change, that I need to start practicing my "no" more, even with some things that I wish I could do very much. It's so hard to make those kinds of decisions, but it's imperative especially when you don't have all the free time in the world, right?

I have a short list (there are a ton more I could share, but I'll start here) of simple living/minimalist websites that I'd like to share with you.


Just reading about how others are paring down activities, saying no to some things so that they can say yes to their priorities, and going a little counter cultural by refusing to buy their way to "happiness" inspires me.

It also reminds me that one doesn't simply arrive at a simpler, more authentic life. Instead, it's a gradual process that is worked on ... maybe your whole life.

What do you think about simple living, minimalism or going against the grain of the society you're a part of? Do you have a favorite website, book or blog to share? Please do so! 

No comments:

Post a Comment